April 23, 2017
Congratulations on your new home and welcome to the historic Fifth Ward neighborhood. We are an undiscovered gem located minutes away from downtown Houston and we hope that you will enjoy living here as much as we do. The neighborhood goes all the way back to the late 1890’s with many historical markers and fruitful alumni such as the late U.S. Congressman Mickey Leland and U.S. Congresswoman Barbara Jordan. Today our community is growing and transitioning with many new homes slated for construction and livable spaces planned near Clinton Dr.
Here are some of the highlights of the community that makes this such a special place:
- The Deluxe Theater is renovated and open with a host of programs & shows. See http://www.thedeluxetheater.com/ for more information.
- Lyons Ave. has a dedicated bike lane that connects to the Buffalo Bayou bike trail. Learn more about it here.
- The Julia Hester House has a fitness center free to Fifth ward residents located at 2020 Solo St. from 9am-noon, M-F.
- Yoga outdoors every Wednesday at Boyce Dorian Park from 7pm-8pm.
- Organic Food Shares is a local farming initiative through Central City Food Co-op that offers pre-ordered produce weekly at Mystic Lyon Art Gallery in Fifth Ward. See http://www.centralcityco-op.com for more information.
- St. Arnold’s Brewery is located in the historic Fifth Ward offering regular tours available at https://www.saintarnold.com/.
- Houston Blues Museum is located on Lyons Ave. Contact 713.489.4628 for more information regarding events or visit online at http://houstonbluesmuseum.org
- Mystic Lyon Art Gallery is located on the corner of Lyons Ave. and Mystic St. For more information, visit, https://www.facebook.com/mysticlyon77020.
We invite you to participate in our monthly civic club meetings, every first Thursday of the month starting in June. We meet from 6:30pm-7:30pm temporarily at East Orange AME Church located at 4415 Orange St. Houston, 77020. Attending the community association meetings presents a great opportunity to learn about what’s happening, voice your concerns or suggestions and more importantly allow for active engagement.
We hope to see you soon.
Progressive Fifth Ward Community Association